Since I discovered this wonderful world of blogging late last year. I have notices how many people have lists of things to do before ” I die” “retire” “end of the year” whatever. It struck me although I didn’t have a written down list, I have had a mental one for sometime which I have been ticking off. I’m 57 years old, so have had a lot of time to achieve some of these. I also have the wisdom to realise some thing are just never going to happen. So here are some of my achievements, and some of the things left to do.
1. Run a marathon. Did that back in the 1980’s when I ran 6. Doing the London twice 1985 and 1987. Never got below 4 hours, but did manage 4 hours and 2 minutes on two seperate occations. On the way I ran a lot of half marathons, getting my time down to 95 minutes, and a few 10 milers at 74 minutes.
2. Cycle coast to coast. Did that in 2000, with a bunch of guys from work. We did it in 2 days.
3. Cycle Landsend to John O’Groats. Still to do, maybe it will have to wait until I retire and have enough time.
4. Drive coast to coast in the USA. Did that in June last year, with my wife Jill and two friends. It took us 3 weeks east to west, starting on the coast of Deleware and ending up in California.
5. Visit California. Been there a few times now. The first time we drove down route 1 from San Francisco north of LA and then across to Vagas and the Grand Canyon.
6. See the Grand Canyon. Did it on the same trip, however as it was November, there was a lot of snow and the canyon was shrouded in mist. You couldn’t see further than the end of your nose. It reminded me of Bill Brysons book where he recounted the same experiance. For a while I thought I had driven 1000 miles to see the biggest hole in the ground, unable to see anything. Fortunatly whilst we were there the weather improved and the canyon appeared out of the mist. That first view was breath taking, its beyond your imagination as to just how big it is.
7. DJ on an American FM radio station. I told you there were some that were never going to happen.
8. Visit Australia.
9. Visit India. Done that one as well. We have plans to go to Sri Lanka in 2013, they tell me its different.
10. Travel as much as possible. I’m doing my best.
11. Encourage my children to see the world. I’m not doing too bad with that one. All three have taken the opportunity to see as much of the world as possible. Two of them Lucy and Ben have lived in America for periods of time.
Now some more short term goals.
1. Get my weight down below 14 stone (presently 14.7).
2. Cycle London to Paris for Diabetes UK, and raise £1500.
3. Get fit enough to do it (no problem).
4. Make this blog site look more exciting, (like others). I may need some help with that one.
I need to go now it looks like I’m going to be busy!